Saturday, October 2, 2010

Blessed Are The Merciful

Ok, this week got crazy and i did not get to the Wednesday post on the Sermon on the Mount, nor to any thoughts on perfection from Methodist Divines.

Blessed are the Merciful

Wesley really drops a bomb on us here. He, in his sermons on the beatitudes, lays them out as a progression, a series of steps that as these blessings fall upon us, they lead directly to the next one.

So, those who are meek, that is, those who are fully resigned to God's will being done in their life, begin to hunger and thirst for righteousness, the fullness of God in their lives. And then, their hearts are filled with compassion and concern for those who do not have the love of God in their lives.

This is the truest mercy! As I have said before, if, as Christians, we will not share the love of God and the salvation from sin in Jesus Christ, we are cold, heartless, and ruthless.

Wesley goes on to note that this mercy has its root in the love described in 1 Corinthians 13, and that this love, too, is progressive, building in us a maturity that believes, and hopes when it seems to be beyond belief, and endures past hope..

Let me have this mercy! But I must be merciful and seek for all to find The Good News of Jesus Christ! Don't let me take these for mere words, some gift from the sky, but let the love of God dwell in my heart to the extent I won't keep quiet that I know my sins forgiven and you can, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment