Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Feed The Hungry Shout Outs

This has been the most amazing year of feeding the hungry! I mean, when the Rock had no money, so many people came through so that not only did we NOT stop feeding the poor and hungry of Lexington, we did more of it! That is our Lord at work!

I can't tell you how incredible all the groups and agencies are! I am afraid I will leave someone out... if I do, please forgive me.

Jim Embry, who showed up at the beginning, and who thought before I did that this was more than just a garden on some empty lots.

The folks from First United Methodist-- their huge garden at Andover and how y'all keep me in "walking around money" to bless the poor! And extravagant generosity in mission giving! Thanks Paul and Teddy!

First Methodist's Andover campus-- for giving us space and running food drives. Thanks Lisa Michele and Todd!

The folks from Southern Hills United Methodist-- Mike and Marian Blodgett, Bill Moore, Dennis Burrows and John Hatton and all the folks that brought in food.

The folks at Seedleaf-- Ryan Koch (who has helped my family in ways you can't imagine) and Rebecca Self

John Walker

Erica Horne and the whole Faith Feeds group. Wow. You packed the halls of our church each Sunday! You guys can tell me more about all the various groups and farms that let you glean! It was amazing.

Bob McKinley from InFeed-- a gentle and encouraging man

Susan Bush from the Dept of Environmental Quality

Kate Black, my favorite librarian.

Berries on Bryan

This goofy idea that we can grow good food for hungry people introduced me to my wife, Jessica, in the garden. Biblical, isn't it?

So many folks at The Rock La Roca United Methodist Church, where I am privileged to pastor-- Martina Ockerman, Melissa Kramer, Larry and Ruth Stewart, Cleat Douglass, Beverly from-across-the-street Paul and Venus Bailey, Mama Itoula, David and Noella Mapigano, Osman Santos, Benjamin Marin Cruz, Miguel Mazariegos Chris Zoch, Matthew Highfill, Robert Highfill, Jimmy Kaindu-- notice how we all come together in the garden. Remember the words of the Revelation:

"Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb, down the middle of the great street of the city. One each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations."

Last but not least, Farmer Pinky aka Shannon Baker, an old friend. Maybe 12 years now we've been friends, and for someone who has moved all the time, that's like family. Shannon is our farmer-in-residence, and is working all kinds of plans to expand this great work.

Please tell me if I forgot anyone and I will make amends!!

No comments:

Post a Comment