Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Persecutions of Thomas Lee, Methodist Preacher, part 2

From Lee's own words in Wesley's Veterans, vol 3.

"Having now labored near four years, and travelled generally on foot, having been often thoroughly wet, and obliged to keep on my wet clothes all day, and having frequently when at home worked at night, that I might not be a burden to anyone, I found I was not as strong as I had been. And the number of places [to preach] still increasing, I was obliged, though much against my will, to give up my business, and buy a horse.

"In the year 1752, and during the winter following, the work of God prospered exceedingly; but persecution raged on every side. The malice of the devil was chiefly leveled against me as I was the first that disturbed his servants in these parts. So that wherever I went, I was in much danger, carrying as it were my life in my hand. One day as I was going through Pateley, the captain of the mob, who was kept in constant pay, pursued me and pulled me off my horse. The mob then soon gathered around me and one or more tripped me (I believe more than 20 times) on the cobblestones. They then dragged me into a house by the hair, then pushed me back with one or two upon me, and threw me into the stone stairs, which I hit with the small of my back. This nearly broke my back and it was not well for many years after. Thence they dragged me to the sewer, which carries the effluent from the town to the river. They rolled me in it for some time; then dragged me to the bridge and threw me into the water. I ended up mostly on the river bank, as I had no strength left.

"My wife and some friends came up, and the mob seeing some taking care of me, asked, "What, are you a Methodist?" and hit her several times, which made her mouth bleed, and they swore they would throw her in the river, too. All this time I lay on the ground, the mob not sure what to do. Some cried out, "Kill him!" others thought to spare my life; but their arguments were ended by deciding to throw still others into the river. So they took them away and left my wife and me alone. She tried to get me to my feet, but with no strength I fell back down. She got me up again, and supported me about a hundred yards. Then I was set on a horse and rode as furtively as possible to Michael Granger's house. Here I was stripped from head to toe and washed. I left my wet clothes there and rode on to Greenow Hill were many were waiting for me, and though I was bruised and weak, I preached a short sermon from Psalm 34:19: 'Many are the troubles of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment