Saturday, May 7, 2011

Francine's Thoughts/Questions on the Church Year

My friend Francine Hagg sent me these thoughts on the Church Year

Here is some of my thought:

It is good to celebrate the church year, because it is good to stand still and reflect on certain aspects in the life of Jesus. I have colleagues who are Church of Christ, and they don't celebrate Christmas Easter etc, because you/they do every week: reflect on Jesus. They miss out.
Let's look at some holidays (holy days)

Advent: we have a Christmas Eve type of service in the beginning of Advent. This is so because our church has a lot of students, and as soon as Christmas break comes around the church is empty, all the students go home. So if you want to have a choir etc, you need to have your servie before that time. The nice thing is: early in Advent you are still in the right mood for it. Not sick of Christmas songs yet.
Christmas is about the birth of Christ, not the mall and all the other trimmings. Yes, I like the giving of gifts, and we do that, but nothing overboard. This is what I like about Christmas gifts: it is the chance to give gifts to each other, while at a birthday only one person gets something. That I like, sharing together.

We don't celebrate Lent, no fasting. We have wonderful Maundy Thursday service at Clifton. Be glad to send you the order of worship: a service of readings and hymns/songs.

Easter always good. My sister in law reflected on how the business community has a grip on people at Christmas, but they don't have such a big hold on Easter and she was glad for that.

The sad thing comes next: People don't know, don't pay attention to Ascension. (it is a public holiday in heathen Holland!) I wonder if people know what happened at Ascension.

Pentecost gets forgotten too (not in Clifton), and it is the best one of all, because there we receive the Holy Spirit.

What it all comes to:

It is about God and not us. Let's forget about us. With fasting too: why do people do that? Can you think of God at other times in the day too? Do you need to fast for it. Do you fast so you can say: look at me I fast. I let this go. What is the real reason? (These are general open questions)

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, O God, my rock and savior. Psalm 19.

Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 115:1

May we bless God,

No comments:

Post a Comment