Friday, September 10, 2010

Christian Perfection

"If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matthew 5:46-48)

When I was a new Christian and I read these words, I was really happy. Some folks have tried to beat this joy out of me, interpreting these words away into nonsense--"Well, Jesus did not really mean be perfect;" or, "The Greek text really means...;" or "He was just setting the bar high so we would strive for something. We can't reach it, but we try."

Naively, I would ask (still do): did He mean we should only sort of forgive people? He only sort of came to save sinners? Maybe He's not really love, but more like a strong affinity?

The run-up to the verses on perfection are hard, but sublime: "I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (5:44).

Maybe he only said that to raise the bar high...

No, He means it. He means we are to be perfect. Not by our own strength or through our own power, but by Him who calls, justifies, and sanctifies.

He means for us to be perfect by the love of God that flows into us, so that we will know what love is, and then will in return love God and love neighbor.

If I love God, I will have no other gods before Him; will not take His name in vain; will not make any idols to worship; will keep the Sabbath day holy.

If I love my neighbor, I surely won't murder him! If I love my neighbor, I won't commit adultery.

It is the love of God and neighbor, coming to us through the power of the Holy Spirit that allows us to fulfill the Law, and be, well, perfect.

Not flawless, not driven by our own performance and skill. But perfect in intention, flowing from love.

No comments:

Post a Comment