Monday, December 9, 2013

Faith in Action

One of the blessings of reading John Wesley's Journal is that it is like having someone come alongside you and teach you about pastoral care.

Aug 10, 1760.  "I took an account of the society, and was grieved, though not surprised, to find such decline.  I left 290 members, I find only 233. And what will the end be, unless those that remain learn to bear one another's burdens?"

Dec 24, 1760. "I visited as many as I could of the sick.  How much better is it, when it is practical, to take relief to the poor than to send it!  For both our sake and theirs.  For them, because it is so much more comforting, and we can help them in both spiritual and physical needs.  For our sake because it is more likely to soften our hearts, and to make us naturally care for each other."

No comments:

Post a Comment