Sunday, December 8, 2013

Selections from Wesley's Journal

Jan 29, 1759
"By repeated experiments we learn, that though a man preach like an angel, he will neither collect, nor preserve a society which is collected, without visiting them from house to house."

June 4, 1759
"After preaching I rode on to Newcastle. Certainly if I did not believe there was another word, I should spend all my summers here; as I know no place in Great Britain comparable to it for pleasantness.  But I seek another country, and therefore am content to be a wandered on earth."

June 24, 1759 "What marvel the devil does not love field-preaching.  Neither do I: I love a commodious room, a soft cushion, a handsome pulpit.  But where is my zeal if I do not trample all these under foot, in order to save one more soul?"

No comments:

Post a Comment