Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Persecutions of Thomas Lee, Methodist preacher, part 6

"On July 16 was our trial in Nottingham. But the grand jury, attempting to keep the rioters out of trouble, would not charge them with disturbing me during public worship, but only for assaulting me.. They were therefore bound over for the next assize to be tried for assault. Meantime, an innumerable mob was collected both within and without the court, threatening what they would do to me. I therefore asked the recorder for a guard. He immediately ordered two constables to conduct me safely to my lodgings. The mob roared, but could do no more. So I got home safely. At the following assizes, several of the rioters were indicted: and judge's warrants were issued and executed. In October, my counsel and the recorder (to prevent more trouble) agreed what each rioter should pay, after admitting to the crime and promising to not repeat their actions. The recorder then spoke plainly to them about their offense, and hearing that the Nottingham mob was again gathering, sent two constables to guard me to my lodgings and to give the people notice that if anyone attacked me, he would immediately send him to prison. Thus ended the troublesome affair at Newark. Since then the work of God has prospered greatly. And a preaching house has been built in which numerous congregations meet without any disturbance."

Thomas Lee's widow wrote these words to Brother Wesley: "He preached twice the Sunday before he died, even though he went to the preaching house on crutches and sat the whole time he preached. His first text that day was, 'All flesh is as grass, and the glory thereof is as the flower of the grass. The grass withereth, the flower thereof fadeth away.' His last text was, 'Surely I know that it will be well with them that fear the Lord.' In this sermon, he said, 'Perhaps this will be my last sermon,' and truly the power of the Lord was solemnly felt by most present."

John Nelson, one of the greatest Methodist preachers, and one who suffered much in persecution as well said, "Brother Thomas Lee is a faithful laborer. He is a right old Methodist preacher, and the power of God attends his word."

No comments:

Post a Comment