Monday, January 3, 2011

The Persecutions of Thomas Lee, Methodist Preacher, part 1

Thomas Lee experienced more violent opposition than any of the early Methodist preachers I have read about yet. Over a few posts, I'll share his accounts. His account is in vol 3 of Wesley's Veterans

Lee started preaching in the home of the man to whom he was apprenticed. People readily heard him, and he began to travel a bit to preach in nearby towns. He especially sought out the towns where there was little or no Methodist presence.

When he went to a town called Pately Bridge, the Anglican priest of the parish had hired a mob to attack the preachers and worshippers. the mob threw stones and beat people with sticks. Lee says he reeled "to and fro and my head was broken with a stone. But I never found my soul more happy...it was a glorious time; and there are several who date their conversion from that day. After I was a little cleaned, I went to a neighboring town, where, when my head was dressed, I preached abroad to abundance of people, may of whom had followed me from Patrly Bridge. Some of the mob also followed; but as the wretched minister was not present to head them, and they were greatly outnumbered, they behaved peaceably."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment