Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Classic Brother Wesley!

Ok, so I have to get to work, but I need to share this with you! I just read this in Wesley's Journal, Tues, June 10, 1760:

At noon, William Ley, James Glassbrook and I rode to Carrick-upon-Shannon. In less than an hour, an Esquire and Justice of the Peace came down with a drum, and what mob he could gather. I went into the garden with the congregation while he made a speech to his followers. He then attacked William Ley who stood at the door... having made his way through the house, he was stopped by James Glassbrook barring the door. While he was trying to force the door open, someone told him I was preaching in the garden... he ran around the house and climbed the wall with some of his retinue, and with a whole volley of oaths and curses, declared, "You shall not preach here today!" I told him, "Sir, I do not intend to, for I have already preached [here today]" This made him ready to tear the ground. Finding he was not to be reasoned with, I entered the house. Soon after he revenged himself on James Glassbrook (by breaking the truncheon of his halbert on his arm) and on my hat, which he beat valiantly..."

Wow. I guess my preaching is just not pointed enough! I've had people yell at me. A few weeks ago, my neighbors stood on the porch cussing me while I worked on my sermon. That's about it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:W New Circle Rd,Lexington,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment