Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wesley Retrospective, part 5

Feb 8, 1753: "in the afternoon, I visited many of the sick, but such scenes, who could see unmoved? There are none such to be found in a pagan country. If any of the Indians in Gerogia were sick (which indeed exceedingly rarely happened until they learned gluttony and drunkenness from the Christians) those that were near them gave him whatever he wanted. O who will convert the English into honest heathens!"
___________

Feb 9 and 10, 1753

I visited as many more as I could. I found some in their rooms underground; others in their attic rooms, half-starved with both cold and hunger, added to weakness and pain. But I found not one of them unemployed, who was not able crawl about the room. So wickedly, so devilishly false is that common objection, "They are poor, only because they are idle.". If you saw these things with your own eyes, could you spend money on ornaments or unnecessary things?"


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment