Monday, February 28, 2011

Wesley Retrospective, part 6

A common theme oin Wesley's journals, and in Early Methodist writing generally, is "dying well.". To be a Methodist meant no fear of death because not only did they believe in Jesus, but they had the witness of the Spirit. They knew they were saved, they did not have any doubt about that. Ann Beauchamp, a young woman who was dying, left a great account of herself. When a friend asked her how she was doing, she said, "I am quite happy. I know that my redeemer lives, and has taken away all my sins. An my heart is comforted by the presence of God. I long to die that I may be with Him."

To a friend she said, "O seek Od, and He will supply all your wants... Find time for this, whatever goes undone. My neighbors used to wonder how I found time and thought me foolish for spending it so, but now I know it was not fooolish. Soon I shall receive an exceeding great reward."

And then to her friends and neighbors who had not accepted Christ, she said, "Perhaps some of you will say, 'I have not been called.' Then remember, I call you now. I exhort everyone of you to seek the Lord while He may be found."

And as she died, she cried out the words of the great hymn,

"Bold I approach the eternal throne

And claim the crown through Christ my own!"

No comments:

Post a Comment